I mentioned earlier that I had to finish the head plumbing. What a job that was. The boat was really starting to stink and I decided it was time to replace the ageing hoses. The problem is the head tank is still half full. In my haste last season I forgot to pump out before storing the boat. Actually I was surprised how much was in the tank. I didn’t think we really used it that much.
The discharge hose that lets you empty the tank overboard was the most difficult. I have a Y valve in place that lets you divert either overboard or out the deck fitting when you do a normal pumpout at a marina. Removing that discharge hose was a real pain.
Getting the new hose onto the thru hull was so difficult given the location deep in the boat, and the fitting was so corruded that its diameter was larger than the hose. I ended up removing the tail pipe and putting in new fittings. The problem is all this work spanned a period of a week and while the old hose was off the y valve, there was a slow drip of waste accumulating in the locker. Once I realized this, it really motivated me to finish the job quick.
I now have a new hose in place, a new elbow installed and whats not pictured is the many hours of labour in the deep dark stinky corners of the boat.