Sunday was to be the day to move the boat to Ontario Place. When we arrived at the boat with our friends Shauna & Steve, I decided I would take the time to replace the primary fuel filter quickly before heading on our way. I had never done this before but it seemed as simple as removing the old case, and swapping the filter with the new one and using the new gaskets.
Unfortunately I ended up spending 5 hours on this chore before we could get the engine running and get on our way! The problem was all the air introduced into the fuel line. After reading the workshop books instructions, I opened all the bleeder screws I could find and tried pumping until fuel flowed out properly. The problem was fuel wasn’t flowing out at all despite the hours of pumping that priming handle.
The trick we found was to keep the primary filter bleeder screw closed as it was letting in more air which is why we weren’t getting anywhere. Once a helpful neighbor wandered by and suggested I close the primary bleeder screw, the air worked its way out the secondary filter bleeder screw and the engine was back in order.
After that ordeal, we motored to Ontario Place marina and arrived safe and sound at her new summer home.